U.S. President Donald Trump has called April 2 “Liberation Day” and promised the new tariffs he will announce will “make America wealthy again." But Canadian leaders are warning that they will retaliate and Trump’s tariffs will result in job losses and economic harm in his own country.
There’s no sure sign of what Trump will announce on Wednesday, but he’s scheduled to hold a press conference on his tariff measures at 4 p.m.
While the Washington Post reports the White House is considering a 20 per cent levy on most imports, raising over $6 trillion in taxes, Trump himself has spoken about more targeted tariffs in retaliation to trade practices perceived to be unfair to the U.S.
A White House aide warned against any “speculation” ahead of an official announcement.
Prime Minister Mark Carney, who is running for election as Liberal leader, said he would retaliate against any new measures against Canada, but offered no specifics.
Asked what his expectations are, Carney referred to his call with Trump last week in which both leaders agreed to “begin comprehensive negotiations" after the April 28 election — should Carney be chosen as the next prime minister — and members of their cabinet would remain in touch in the meantime.
Under Justin Trudeau, the government drafted a list of $155 billion worth of U.S. goods that would make up its retaliatory action. An initial tranche of $30 billion is already in effect, with Trudeau warning at the time that the remaining could kick in following a public comment period.
Carney would not say if the same list of goods would be part of Canada's retaliation under his watch, only that Canada will be "deliberate" in its response to Trump. But he acknowledged the feds have “held back” from moving on the targeting of more goods.
“We will not disadvantage Canadian producers and Canadian workers relative to American workers. There are measures we can take that, at a minimum, level the playing field with the U.S.,” he said. “But again, it depends on the broader measures they take tomorrow, if indeed they do, against Canada.”
Carney spoke just before hopping on a call with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum about boosting North American competitiveness. Per a readout, he stressed the need to increase trade between both nations to “fight unjustified trade actions against Canada.”
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said the “tariff chaos” must end, expressing hope that both countries can sort out their "grievances" without "attacking each other’s economies.” But until Trump backs off, he said Ottawa is right to retaliate.
Meanwhile, federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said any future talks between the president and Canada should not put public health care “on the negotiating table.”
Singh made the comments while promising to crack down on “foreign takeovers” by banning U.S. companies from buying up Canadian “health-care assets,” dismissing suggestions the proposal could land him in legal or jurisdictional tussles with premiers, given health-care delivery mainly falls to provinces.
In Ontario, Premier Doug Ford spoke with NBC News to warn that Trump’s “Liberation Day” will be ”termination day” for U.S. workers.
“You can't just cut off your largest customer in the world, and that's Canada.”
He said the “only thing acceptable is zero tariffs” and reiterated that retaliatory action is “on the table.”
Ontario Opposition Leader Marit Stiles sat down with U.S. Consul General Baxter Hunt on Tuesday, telling reporters she indicated Ontario would not “fold under pressure, no matter what comes at us.”
She pledged to work with the Ontario government and has asked the premier for a meeting to discuss future actions.